Friday, May 22, 2009

(Maybe) why it’s hard to find a good mechanic in Malawi.

After my shock and horror of witnessing a Malawian “mechanic” use a stone and a chisel solution to what was my motorcycle’s 10-spanner problem, I stepped back and thought for a moment: why is it that a good Malawian mechanic is so hard to come by?

Truth is, most of the mechanic work I see here in Malawi reminds me of my own handiwork in junior high. If my bicycle chain was stuck, I took the garden trowel to it. If the bearings squeaked, I smeared grease indiscriminately until they didn’t. After finishing a particularly shoddy patch job on a blown tire, I tossed my dad’s tools into my mom’s flower bed. It seems these are also the methods of local mechanics.

This is my armchair answer for why my teenage ways are the modus operandi in Malawi: over the years Malawians were bestowed plenty of serviceable equipment, with none of the tools with which to service it.

The English were first. With independence in 1964, the colonial administration packed up for England leaving behind the electric transformers, the train tracks, and their one ferry in Lake Malawi, but took with them whatever wasn’t bolted down: the socket sets, spanners, welding torches and the like. This kicked off a generation of half-hearted repair jobs nation-wide. Following hot on English heels, NGOs arrived, put up plenty of infrastructure of their own, though never brought the tools or the parts for said infrastructure’s maintenance, and another round of in-a-pinch fixes were born.

Thus, today, while a boy who’d fathom using a set of vice-grips for pliers in places like Leduc, or Moose Jaw, or Brandon would earn a swift cuff upside the head from his father, this is simply standard practice in Malawi. 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Graham,

    Really getting around Africa hey? For the past year I've been following the Millennium Village Project and there is a Millennium Village, Mwandama, in Malawi that I was wondering if you knew about? Have you visited these Millennium Villages? From your experience in Africa, what do you think of them?

    There is some great work going on in some of the MV's it seems like. In Nigeria the MVP just announced that infrastructure for cell phone use will be available to the Millennium Villages. Your comment on mechanics prompted me to remember some of the advanced technologies being introduced to even the most remote areas in Africa where the Millennium Villages are situated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to look for Millenium villages within a motorbike ride from where I'm at and see what I can find--hopefully I'll have something to write back for you.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be spectacular. Let me know what you find out. We're trying to pass a fee through referendum here at the U to sponsor a village over 5 years.

    It won't be easy...I think you remember what the UofA is like. Also, the Dean of Students, Frank Robinson, pointed me in your direction a few days ago when I mentioned this to him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, I can't see your profile, so I still don't know your last name--can you fill me in. I know perhaps 2-3 Marks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Graham,

    My last name is McCormack. We met a few times when I was just starting up Make Poverty History and we had an indepth philosophical discussion on trying to change the world.

    ReplyDelete